A Mater /Development Plan lays down the basic framework for guiding and regulating future growth. This is done through 3 basic instruments:
- Land use Zoning Plan that determines the use of each land parcel in the development area
- Structural Road Network Plan that guides laying of the trunk infrastructure in the development area
- Development Control Regulations that determines the built form in the development area
It is a statutory document and must be prepared by every city/development area. It is reviewed and updated every 10 years. It therefore must be based on recent and accurate information about the city/urban area.
The plan preparation process is severely constrained by lack of availability of basic information starting with accurate maps, data pertaining to the land uses, road networks, structures, open spaces, water bodies etc. The city maps have been prepared long ago and have not been updated since then and thus redundant for preparing a city plan. Further most of the secondary information is spread across diverse departments/sources, not updated and the process of procuring it is time consuming. Moreover there is no systematic way of collecting, maintaining and analyzing data/information that may be relevant for planning purposes.
The most crucial information for preparing a Plan is an accurate and updated Base Map of the planning area, road networks, spatial extent of development and the information on the use of each parcel of land. It is the basis for making rational planning decisions. Use of Satellite Images and GIS can fill this gap as is illustrated through the preparation of Master Plan for TUDA Region and Zonal Development Plan.
This paper is divided in three sections –
- Use Satellite Images for Preparation of Base Map for TUDA Region and Tirupati Town
- Use of Satellite Images for Land Use Mapping for TUDA Region and Tirupati Town
- Use of Satellite Images and GIS to support Planning Decisions
The first section illustrates the status and need for accurate maps, available methods to prepare accurate and updated maps and the Base Map preparation process in detail for TUDA Region and Tirupati Town. The section explains how the task of land use mapping is considerably eased up through interpretation of satellite images. The third section demonstrates the usefulness of satellite images and GIS to enable and support rational planning decisions and framing implementable proposals.