Map showing the East of NGEF layout, one of the layouts of the project area
The urban environment of Bangalore has been progressively deteriorating. The major causes for this have been the adhoc approach being adopted in guiding its development and multiple agencies being responsible to manage the urban environment. The Integrated urban Environment Improvement Project (IUEIP) is an effort to look at an urban environment from an integrated view point and undertake sub projects which are implemented together along with the participation of the residents of the area to manage the urban environment.
Bangalore is one of the major metropolitan cities of the country. Bangalore is known for its salubrious climate, lakes and parks. The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) is one of the agencies for which this project is being implemented. It has an area of 1279 SqKm. The city of Bangalore has a population of 50 Lakhs as per the 1991 census and is growing at the decadal rate of 40%. The rapid growth of the city is because of industrial and commerce development, and a large number of government and research institutions being located in the State capital. Bangalore is also the software capital of the country.
The responsibility of planning, development and management of the city infrastructure rest with three institutions - The Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BMP) the municipal body, Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) and the Bangalore Metropolitan Development Authority (BMRDA).
The project is being implemented for an area of 18 Sq.Km located in the North Bangalore consisting of some developed area and developing area belonging to Bangalore Development Authority (BDA)
Need for a Spatial System
The way the city develops draws a number of environmental challenges. The major environmental issue that arises out of urbanization is due to the change in land use. Due to formation of residential, industrial and other layouts, the natural slopes and drainage gets affected. Number of tanks and their drainages have been breached to form the layouts. This also affects the land cover and natural vegetation gets disturbed. Another major environmental issue is the generation of wastes in large quantities. Solid waste management is one such issue that needs to be tackled. To tackle such issues one needs a good information system, to track changes that take place and to provide data support to academics and researches who are attempting to improve the quality of life in consonance with environmental imperatives. The information system for meeting such purpose can not just be a database of tables and charts but also include a spatial dimension and be capable of answering specific queries and helping in designing alternatives and evaluating them.
Firstly a detailed action plan was devised to handle the project. Following were the activities involved in setting up the GIS and using GIS.
User Need Assessment
- To Identify major users
- Understanding their requirements
- Description of the functions with
emphasis on decision making
Design of GIS
- Data that is used and its processing in the functions
- Identifying available data, its source, date, quality
- Identifying data gaps and developing
methods to generate data
Implementation of GIS
- Developing the specifications for the hardware
- Developing the specifications for the GIS software
- Developing the specifications for the GIS database
- Identification of applications to be
available in the GIS
Procuring primary and secondary data and converting them to GIS format
- Procurement and installation of Hardware
- Procurement and installation of Software
- Developing the applications, debugging
and installing them in the system
Training of Personnel
- Commissioning survey for obtaining primary data
- Converting Survey output to GIS formats
- Converting attribute data / non-map data to digital format
- Creating GIS layers and integrating map and non map data
- Test running the system
- Development of user and technical manuals
- Development of training materials
- Designing and conducting training programmes
- Setting up of protocols for data backup and updating of data
- Development of maintenance procedures